4. CEL and Assigning Materials
Matt Barker of Intraware explains how to apply materials in Katana 3.
In the video:
• The next stage is to apply the materials.
• Use the GroupStack node to group the materialAssign nodes to simplify the node graph.
• Use CEL to assign the default material to the geo folder in the scene.
• Add a new materialAssign node with a CEL statement that associates part of the scene graph with the material. You can drag from the scene graph to the Add Statements item in the CEL statement parameters.
• You can also use a custom CEL expression to bind materials.
• Use //* to apply the material to everything downstream of a point in the scene graph. Also, add strings to target scene graph contents by name.
• You can use face selection and a FaceSetCreate node to target specific geometry.
• Multiple CEL statements can be combined using the set operators: union, difference, and intersect.
• CEL's rule based approach gives you a more robust method for material assignments.