Release Notes for Modo 12.2v2
20 February 2019
Officially Supported Operating Systems
• Mac OS 10.12.x, 10.13.x, and 10.14.x (64-bit only)
• Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 (64-bit only)
• Linux 64-bit operating system (CentOS/RHEL 7+)
Minimum Hardware Requirements
• Intel processor(s), Core i3 or higher
• 1 GB available hard disk space (for Modo installation).
• 6 GB available hard disk space (for full content).
• At least 4 GB RAM
• Display with 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution
• Internet connection for product activation and online videos access
• The Advanced viewport mode requires an NVIDIA or AMD graphics card with at least 1 GB of graphics memory and drivers that support OpenGL 3.2 or higher.
Recommended System Requirements
Note: This information is our best recommendation for the average user. Requirements vary by usage, and individual users may have different requirements from those listed here.
• 2.5+ GHz quad-core processor
• 250+ GB disk space available for caching and temporary files, SSD is preferable
• 16 GB RAM with additional virtual memory*
• Display with 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution
• An NVIDIA or AMD graphics card with the latest drivers
• 2+ GB of graphics memory
• OpenGL 4.4 or higher support
*The use of virtual memory improves stability and helps prevent data loss on large projects.
Recommended Graphics Driver Versions
• NVIDIA: 411.63 or later*
• AMD: 8.982.8.1 or later*
*We recommend downloading the latest driver version from the NVIDIA or AMD websites
Tested Workstation Hardware
The configurations listed below are those that Foundry have tested with Modo 12.2v1. Due to the constantly changing nature and wide variety of computer hardware available in the market, Foundry is unable to officially certify hardware. The list below can be used as a recommendation and does not guarantee that it meets your particular needs.
If you encounter any issues, please visit the Support Portal at https://support.foundry.com.
Tested Workstation Hardware
• MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid-2015)
• iMac (Late 2012)
• Mac Pro (Late 2013)
• MacBook Pro (Mid-2015)
• XPS 15 9560
• Precision 3520
• HP Z800
• HP Z640
• HP Z600
• AMD Ryzen Threadripper
• Intel i7-4770k
• Intel i7-7700k
• Intel i7-8700
• Xeon E3-1505M v6
• Xeon E5504
• Xeon 5620
Tested GPU Hardware
AMD Prosumer Graphics Cards
• Radeon™ Vega RX
• Radeon™ R9 M370X
• Radeon™ Pro WX8200
• Radeon™ Pro WX7100
AMD Enterprise Graphics Cards
• FirePro™ D700
NVIDIA Prosumer Graphics Cards
• GeForce 675MX
• GeForce 970
• GeForce 1050 (laptop)
• GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (Linux)
• GeForce 1080
NVIDIA Enterprise Graphics Cards
• Quadro® K620
• Quadro® M620
• Quadro® M4000
There are no new features in this release.
• Licensing libraries have been updated to the latest versions.
• ID 365352 - Preset Browser: Adding paths to the Color Picker Preset Browser did not work as expected.
• ID 372010 - Viewports: Enabling the Show Vertex Normals option decreased the performance of the 3D viewport
• ID 372468 - Presets: Saving group locator as a preset caused Modo to crash.
• ID 372883 - UV: The UV Rectangle tool did not work correctly in certain scenes.
• ID 372884 - Particles: Linking a 0 value distance user channel to a Curve Rebuild mesh operation's minimum spacing caused Modo to crash or become unresponsive.
• ID 372887 - Particles: Using Curve Rebuild didn't work when the spacing distance was less than the total length of a curve.
• ID 373749 - Modeling: In Items selection mode, the Jitter tool did not work as expected.
• ID 373768 - UI: The text editing field for renaming sometimes appeared when clicking the visibility icon in the Shader Tree.
• ID 374064 - File I/O: Generating thumbnails for very thin images by forcing a minimum thumbnail size of 4x4 caused Modo to crash.
• ID 374654 - Linux Only: The Advanced viewport did not start with open source MESA and AMD Radeon drivers.
• ID 374810 - Modeling: The Push tool combined with the Airbrush falloff did not work as expected.
• ID 374820 - Schematic: Backdrop titles became editable when you clicked anywhere within the backdrop.
• ID 374891 - Schematic: Creating a sub-assembly from nodes inside a Backdrop caused Modo to crash.
• ID 374997 - File I/O: Texture wrap properties were not exported to .gltf format.
• ID 375016 - Modeling: Soft Selection was not interactive.
• ID 375202 - Modeling: Selecting a boundary with a hidden locked mesh in the scene caused Modo to crash.
Known Issues and Workarounds Specific to this Release
This section covers known issues and gives workarounds for them, where appropriate.
Note: Due to internal bug-logging and tracking process improvements, new bug identification numbers are used, with the legacy IDs provided in parentheses, where appropriate.
• ID 240321 (53661) - Selecting actions does not always select the correct one. This is caused by copying actions.
As a workaround, manually edit the tags on the broken actions by selecting them in the Groups tab, then save and reload the scene.
• ID 288164 (36452) - Assemblies exported from the Item List context menu result in poor visual layout of nodes on import.
As a workaround, you can save assemblies from the Schematic viewport.
• ID 355201 - Baking SurfaceID is giving different outputs. A bug has been fixed where deleting or disabling visibility of a mesh would change the SurfaceID colors of other meshes. The process is now deterministic, but the SurfaceID colors differ from previous versions.
• ID 293020 (50671) - Baking displacement maps can cause UV seams to be visible, and the baked displacement map to show quilting effects and other render artifacts.
• ID 221481 (49437) - The Bake Channel Swizzling option can’t bake to texture alpha.
• ID 221439 (49244) - (Windows only): With Perform Color Correction on, setting a default scene to a scene with a mesh that has a position channel crashes Modo at launch.
As a workaround, use System > Reset Preferences to reset to defaults or move/remove the default scene.
• ID 289290 (49514) - macOS X only: Running modo_cl before running the UI Modo application breaks code signing.
As a workaround, start the UI version of Modo once, before running modo_cl on any system where you later intend to use the UI version.
File and Image I/O
• ID 337523 (56862) - Modo for SolidWorks Kit: Modo crashes when importing the same SolidWorks file twice in one Modo session. This bug only affects import using the kit, not direct imports (File > Import).
As a workaround: Before importing a SolidWorks file for the second time, exit and restart Modo.
• ID 221508 (50198) - Alembic scenes don't export some surface items, including static meshes and procedural shatter items.
• ID 226589 (49728) - Exporting selected layers (from the Item List context menu) to .fbx doesn't export instances, unless the original mesh is also exported.
To resolve this, set the .fbx preference to Export Selection and use Export As….
• ID 220991 (47036) - Color management in .svg images is not currently supported. This is a side-effect of a bug fix where the largest allowable image size (64k x 64k) was always used when color correction was enabled.
• ID 220975 (46962) - Rendering .svg images used as stencil maps for displacement or for layer masking can be very slow.
• ID 288248 (35731) - Fur length textures can’t be edited with the Stretch tool.
As a workaround, use different fur length drivers, such as hair guides or vector vertex maps.
• ID 303287 (35856) - Linux only: Plugging in a Wacom tablet while Modo is running can cause undesired movement. This cannot be fixed, due to a limitation of the hardware driver.
To avoid this, plug in the tablet before application start-up or restart.
• ID 226536 (51741) - Mac OS X only: Modo sometimes becomes unresponsive when using the combination of a click-drag in a tree view (for example, when toggling the visibility of two successive items in the Shader Tree), followed immediately by a two-finger scroll gesture on some devices, including laptop trackpads and the Magic Mouse.
As a workaround, change to a 3-button mouse (recommended to fully access all of Modo's features).
• ID 364399 - Outputting an Airtight Final mesh may flip some polygons.
As a workaround, select the polygon in Polygon mode and press the F key or convert the mesh to SubDs or PSubs (Tab or Shift+Tab).
• ID 316276 (56973) - If a Trim Fusion role is assigned to an object and then it is dragged and dropped onto a Primary, the drop menu does not contain the Trim boolean options.
As a workaround, use either the Fusion buttons (Tool palette - Set Mesh Role & Apply section) or Pie Menu (Apply Subtraction or Apply Intersection) when initially adding Trims to each Fusion Item (Trims can contribute to multiple Fusion Items). If initially applied with either of those methods, all subsequent Drag & Drop options will be supported.
• ID 293954 - Adding a second falloff on top of a Soft Selection falloff in Topology mode causes the Move tool to become unresponsive.
As a workaround, use the Tool Properties panel to enter the coordinates.
• ID 226970 (32728) - Zooming out with a Space Navigator alters the Work Plane position.
• ID 226363 (48325) - Scenes with image sequences rendered with Full Frames use the wrong image sequence number on slave machines.
As a workaround, use File > Consolidate Scene, then render the scene using a shared network folder (Preferences option under Rendering > Network Rendering).
• ID 226337 (36986) - Slaves render hidden meshes. Since mesh hide state is not stored in the scene, when that scene is transferred to the slaves, the state is lost. The master respects the hidden state, however.
As a workaround, if the intent is to avoid rendering, toggle the visibility for the item or render or open System > Preferences > Rendering and disable Use Network Render Nodes.
• ID 226336 (25636) - Frame passes are not supported.
• ID 220955 (30318) - Network Rendering doesn’t support Realflow particles.
• Several Bugs - While it apparently worked in Modo 902, in some cases, Network Rendering was not implemented to support baking. Changes to Modo in the 10-series apparently broke what was working for some artists, so the functionality has been disabled.
As a workaround, Modo 10 implemented the ability to Network Bake using Bake Items and an external render controller. For more information, please see the SDK Wiki.
• ID 221393 (50642) - Nodal shading does not support UDIMs.
• ID 288461 (41682) - Textures are not always updating in Preview/Render when painting on an image map.
You can save and reload the image to force the update.
• ID 303192 (34925) - Re-opening scenes saved with large particle caches can cause problems.
To avoid such issues, delete the cache before closing Modo, or export the particles to .csv cache files or Realflow .bin files. You can do this by attaching one of those nodes to the Particle Simulation item in the Schematic viewport, and clicking Cache Simulation.
• If a high poly mesh is not visible, the Preview baking output will be incorrect.
As a workaround, reset Preview to fix the baking.
• ID 305303 (56318) - Procedural duplication of Mesh Ops in a Deform folder creates errant Mesh Ops list.
• ID 305302 (56317) - Duplication of Procedurals does not work with the Select By Previous Operation tool.
As a workaround, manually edit the duplicate's Select By Previous Operation Mesh Ops.
• ID 266469 (54738) - A duplication of any item that is a Merge Meshes Source (For example, a Mesh Item, Procedural Item, or Fusion Item), any duplicates (duplicate or instance) are added to the Merge Meshes Ops List as a source.
As a workaround, remove the unwanted additional Merge Mesh Sources (regardless of the type of source) in the Mesh Ops List using the X icon in that list next to each Merge Meshes source.
• ID 221355 (52149) - Curve Extrude mesh operation: The Path Segment Generator's Align to Normal option doesn't work when using a Bezier with zero-length tangents.
As a workaround, rotate the polygons to point toward the +Z before extruding or make sure there are no zero-length tangents.
• BUG ID 289810 (46512) - When rigged, Rock items and other procedurals do not display correctly in GL. This is a limitation of the feature and will not be fixed.
You can use Preview or RayGL to visualize the variations from rigging.
• ID 294394 (44492) - If a scene that already contains references is referenced, the shading of the original references may not persist.
As a workaround, limit scenes with shading to one level of reference.
• ID 220957 (41119) - Reloading a reference after replacing it with the same file can cause Modo to crash.
• BUG ID 309252 (56620) - Modo crashes when closing a scene containing a referenced scene after attempting to revert a reference override.
As a workaround, first close and reopen the scene before attempting to revert the reference.
• ID 297021 (52730) - The Vertex Illumination Bake command doesn't work as expected, when the mesh has transform channels.
As a workaround, freeze the transforms in the mesh properties.
• ID 292947 (53184) - Value presets created for material Subsurface Scattering samples in Modo 10.1 or earlier now show on the render item instead.
• ID 279848 (55663) - Motion Blur applied on a curve in a mesh operation no longer works.
• ID 243070 (53793) - Rendering using a Dual CPU with 72 threads was significantly slower than expected.
As a workaround, any machine that has more than 32 cores, performance will be better if you limit rendering to half the number of cores you have.
• ID 235368 (53411) - Mesh lights or any direct light too close to a surface can produce fireflies (hot pixels) in some cases.
As a workaround, use a Maximum Radiance higher than 1 W/srm2 to reduce the bias.
• ID 287584 (27244) - Duplicating joints in a bound mesh retains influences from the original joint chain.
• ID 242545 (53458) - Right-clicking or running a script in the Script Editor can lock up input to Modo.
As a workaround, click in the top window of the Script Editor, use the main menus, or change to another application, then switch back to Modo.
• ID 336112 (57874) - Custom Materials that define their own smoothing properties (such as the Skin material), no longer smooth the mesh correctly.
• ID 299187 (37858) - In the Shader Tree, choosing a group from Add Layer > Image Map > (use clip browser) fails.
To work around this issue, in the Clip Browser, choose a single image instead of the group, and then change to the image group using the Texture Layer's Properties tab.
• ID 288141 (30947) - Layer masking displacement does not work unless you drag and drop the masking layer onto the displacement layer.
Unreal and Unity Materials
• ID 295862 (50700) - There is no way to visualize the Unreal SubSurface Color effect in Modo.
• ID 294747 (50701) - Unreal material Ambient Occlusion does not bake correctly in Modo.
• ID 221477 (50451) - On some graphics cards, Unity material may cause flickering in the Advanced viewport when used with bump maps and shadows.
• ID 333249 (57715) - Selecting items in the viewport does not always update the Properties form.
As a workaround, press the Alt key.
• ID 288714 (43162) - Windows only: Setting a custom text size affects Modo's text drawing.
As a workaround, go to the compatibility settings by right-clicking the Modo shortcut or executable, and turn off font-scaling for the application.
• ID 281374 (55759) - Transforming objects can cause the Items Properties panel to flicker.
• ID 277244 (55571) - Resizing the dopesheet in Zen crashes Modo 11.1, but not in Modo 11.0.
• ID 273139 (55185) - Text in the viewport icon buttons is not visible in the Advanced viewport on some macOS/AMD configurations.
As a workaround: Upgrade macOS to 10.12 or 10.13.
• ID 226492 (44496) - macOS X only: Disabling Affect System Color Dialog in Preferences > Rendering > Color Management, and using the system color picker caused colors to darken with each use of the color picker.
This is due to an OS X issue, which requires the color profile in both the monitor settings and color picker to be set to sRGB IEC61966-2.1.
• ID 224169 (44896) - Dragging and dropping an image from disk into the Clips list doesn’t work.
If the Clips list is empty, drop the image onto the bar at the top, otherwise drop it above or below other images in the list.
• Windows only: Using Raptr can cause GL driver crashes in Modo.
• RGBA textures only draw correctly in the Advanced viewport. In the Default viewport, any unsupported texture effect on an image map is drawn as diffuse color when the layer is selected in the Shader Tree.
• ID 338599 (57955) - Clicking on the VR layout tab may crash when using a system with a Radeon WX-series graphics card. This is due to a driver bug and should be fixed by a AMD in a future driver release.
• ID 338374 (58003) - Game Navigation mode (camera rotation) does not work in a floating 3D view (palette or separate window).
As a workaround, use Game Navigation mode only in docked 3D views (views that are part of a Layout).
• ID 310930 (56706) - Unity and Unreal materials are not displayed correctly when first loaded into the Advanced viewport.
As a workaround, enable and then disable the visibility of the Shader Tree textures.
• ID 296123 (46995) - Ambient Occlusion display in the Advanced viewport is affected by selected item wireframes.
You can disable Show Selection in the Visibility options or disable wireframe drawing on the active mesh layers.
• ID 289738 (49473) - Projections are incorrect if the projecting camera is set to Vertical film fit mode and the width is less than the height.
• ID 289020 (43771) - Camera projections from non-render cameras show distortion in GL and baking.
To avoid this, make sure that the projection camera has a film width-to-height ratio that matches the main render camera.
• ID 281365 (55816) - Wireframes are washed out on transparent surfaces in the Advanced viewport.
As a workaround, avoid transparency when modeling or doing work where wireframes are needed. Alternatively, use the Default viewport.
• ID 356825 - SDK: TDSDK Vertex and Edge classes didn't use the correct IDs for equality comparisons.
• ID 363748 - SDK: In some situations, the per_item callback was not called. (See this discussion: http://modo.beta.thefoundry.co.uk/forum/topic.aspx?f=11&t=25223)
• ID 364335 - TD SDK: The same vertex ID was being used repeatedly when trying to set disco UVs.
• SDK: SDK methods StripRichText(), to remove rich text in a string, and StringLookup(), to get a string from a string table have been added.