Release Notes for Modo14.2v2
10 December 2020
Officially Supported Operating Systems
• macOS 10.13.x, 10.14.x, and 10.15.x (64-bit only)
• Windows 10 (64-bit only)
• Linux 64-bit operating system (CentOS/RHEL 7.6+)
Minimum Hardware Requirements
• Intel processor(s), Core i3 or higher
• 1 GB available hard disk space (for Modo installation).
• 6 GB available hard disk space (for full content).
• At least 4 GB RAM
• Display with 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution
• Internet connection for product activation and online videos access
• The Advanced viewport mode requires an NVIDIA or AMD graphics card with at least 1 GB of graphics memory and drivers that support OpenGL 3.2 or higher.
Recommended System Requirements
Note: This information is our best recommendation for the average user. Requirements vary by usage, and individual users may have different requirements from those listed here.
• 2.5+ GHz quad-core processor
• 250+ GB disk space available for caching and temporary files, SSD is preferable
• 16 GB RAM with additional virtual memory*
• Display with 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution
• An NVIDIA or AMD graphics card with the latest drivers
• 2+ GB of graphics memory
• OpenGL 4.4 or higher support
*The use of virtual memory improves stability and helps prevent data loss on large projects.
Recommended Graphics Driver Versions
• NVIDIA: 435 or later*
• AMD: 8.982.8.1 or later*
*We recommend downloading the latest driver version from the NVIDIA or AMD websites
Tested Workstation Hardware
The configurations listed below are those that Foundry have tested with Modo 13.0v1. Due to the constantly changing nature and wide variety of computer hardware available in the market, Foundry is unable to officially certify hardware. The list below can be used as a recommendation and does not guarantee that it meets your particular needs.
If you encounter any issues, please visit the Support Portal at https://support.foundry.com.
Tested Workstation Hardware
• MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid-2015)
• iMac (Late 2012)
• Mac Pro (Late 2013)
• MacBook Pro (Mid-2015)
• XPS 15 9560
• Precision 3520
• HP Z800
• HP Z640
• HP Z600
• AMD Ryzen Threadripper
• Intel i7-4770k
• Intel i7-7700k
• Intel i7-8700
• Xeon E3-1505M v6
• Xeon E5504
• Xeon 5620
Tested GPU Hardware
AMD Prosumer Graphics Cards
• Radeon™ Vega RX
• Radeon™ R9 M370X
• Radeon™ Pro WX8200
• Radeon™ Pro WX7100
AMD Enterprise Graphics Cards
• FirePro™ D700
NVIDIA Prosumer Graphics Cards
• GeForce 675MX
• GeForce 970
• GeForce 1050 (laptop)
• GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (Linux)
• GeForce 1080
NVIDIA Enterprise Graphics Cards
• Quadro® K620
• Quadro® M620
• Quadro® M4000
New Features and Enhancements
We have reduced mPath iterations from 64 to 16 samples per pixel, allowing more opportunities to pause renders with a complete savable image and reducing the memory needed to store path state information.
• ID 226487 (49649) - Procedurals: Sweep effectors flipped polygon normals when changing the start/end percentages.
• ID 401676 - UI: Deleting an image added during animation playback caused Modo to crash.
• ID 427657 (60346) - Color Picker: The Save as Presets button did not work as expected.
• ID 448048 (60757) - SDK: Calling CLxUser_GeoCacheSegment.VertexFeatureCount(LXiRENDERCACHE_GEOVERT_OVEL &featureCount) caused Modo to crash.
• ID 448754 - Rendering: Cryptomatte rendered Rank 0 ID imprecisely when Depth of Field was active.
• ID 449954 - Rigging: Enabling and disabling Item/Channel links in the Schematic layout did not work as expected.
• ID 450021 (60824) - Rendering: mPath did not render alpha channels placed in material groups using item masks.
• ID 453073 (60846) - File I/O: USD files loaded lights without materials.
• ID 455075 - UVing: Selecting an image within the Images tab did not display the image correctly in the UV viewport.
• ID 455236 - Modeling: Mesh subdivision did not smooth at UV boundaries as expected.
• ID 455265 (60888) - Procedurals: Using a procedural freeze on certain curves and clicking Make Holes caused Modo to crash.
• ID 456394 (60892) - Modeling: Edge Chamfer auto-weld left the original polygons behind.
• ID 457667 - Modeling: Intersect boolean did not remove the mesh when the driver was away from the surface of the mesh.
• ID 458046 (60920) - Rendering: mPath alphas from transparent models were incorrect.
• ID 458060 - Procedurals: The Grow Weight Threshold was applied incorrectly if the lower value was found first.
• ID 458814 (60930) - Rigging: Adding faces to a command region face set with geometry hidden destroyed existing face sets.
• ID 458893 (60934) - UVing: Making multiple selections in the UV viewport and 3D viewport occasionally displayed incorrect selections.
• ID 458898 - PBR Loader: Exported Defs did not always work as expected for blend modes and colorspaces.
• ID 459059 - Linux and macOS only: Python linked against some libraries incorrectly.
• ID 459311 - Modeling: Deleting a group locator in a certain scene caused Modo to crash.
• ID 459379 (60936) - Rendering: mPath stenciling using Embree or Optix produced an incorrect shading normal pass.
• ID 459381 (60937) - Rendering: Saving passes from the frame buffers when using mPath LightPathExpressions rendered a single empty LPE file.
• ID 459397 - Modeling: Swapping selection mode to Edge with hidden polygons at the edges caused Modo to crash if the UV viewport was open.
• ID 459507- Topology: Topology (OGL) inactive was not set to colored wireframe.
• ID 459528 (60947) - Rendering: Rendercache fur rendering did not work as expected with V-ray and Octane.
• ID 459702 - macOS only: The USD library was not compatible with macOS 10.13, causing file loaders to fail.
• ID 459704 (60952) - Viewports: Hovering over items with UV-Matcaps enabled caused the undo stack to fill with commands.
This section covers some known issues and gives workarounds for them, where appropriate.
• ID 240321 (53661) - Selecting actions does not always select the correct one. This is caused by copying actions.
Note: As a workaround, manually edit the tags on the broken actions by selecting them in the Groups tab, then save and reload the scene.
• ID 395357 - Deformer Caching doesn’t work.
• ID 423909 - Grease Pencil - Setting image type to JPG results in a black fill over the screen.
• ID 288164 (36452) - Assemblies exported from the Item List context menu result in poor visual layout of nodes on import.
Note: As a workaround, you can save assemblies from the Schematic viewport.
• ID 293020 (50671) - Baking displacement maps can cause UV seams to be visible, and the baked displacement map to show quilting effects and other render artifacts.
• ID 221481 (49437) - The Bake Channel Swizzling option can’t bake to texture alpha.
• ID 279848 (55663) - Motion Blur applied on a curve in a Mesh Operation no longer works.
• ID 235368 (53411) - Mesh lights or any direct light too close to a surface can produce fireflies (hot pixels) in some cases.
Note: As a workaround, use a Maximum Radiance higher than 1 W/srm2 to reduce the bias.
• ID 243070 (53793) - Rendering using a Dual CPU with 72 threads was significantly slower than expected.
Note: As a workaround, any machine that has more than 32 cores, performance will be better if you limit rendering to half the number of cores you have.
• ID 292947 (53184) - Value presets created for material Subsurface Scattering samples in Modo 10.1 or earlier now show on the render item instead.
• ID 297021 (52730) - The Vertex Illumination Bake command doesn't work as expected, when the mesh has transform channels.
Note: As a workaround, freeze the transforms in the mesh properties.
• ID 221439 (49244) - Windows only: With Perform Color Correction on, setting a default scene to a scene with a mesh that has a position channel crashes Modo at launch.
Note: As a workaround, use System > Reset Preferences to reset to defaults or move/remove the default scene.
• ID 289290 (49514) - macOS only: Running modo_cl before running the UI Modo application breaks code signing.
Note: As a workaround, start the UI version of Modo once, before running modo_cl on any system where you later intend to use the UI version.
File and Image I/O
• ID 337523 (56862) - Modo for SolidWorks Kit: Modo crashes when importing the same SolidWorks file twice in one Modo session. This bug only affects import using the kit, not direct imports (File > Import).
Note: As a workaround, before importing a SolidWorks file for the second time, exit and restart Modo.
• ID 221508 (50198) - Alembic scenes don't export some surface items, including static meshes and procedural shatter items.
• ID 226589 (49728) - Exporting selected layers (from the Item List context menu) to .fbx doesn't export instances, unless the original mesh is also exported.
Note: To resolve this, set the .fbx preference to Export Selection and use Export As….
• ID 220991 (47036) - Color management in .svg images is not currently supported. This is a side-effect of a bug fix where the largest allowable image size (64k x 64k) was always used when color correction was enabled.
• ID 220975 (46962) - Rendering .svg images used as stencil maps for displacement or for layer masking can be very slow.
• ID 346842 - Alembic import - Drag/drop doesn't import animation correctly.
Note: As a workaround, use File > Import.
• ID 288248 (35731) - Fur length textures can’t be edited with the Stretch tool.
Note: Use different fur length drivers, such as hair guides or vector vertex maps.
• ID 226536 (51741) - macOS only: Modo sometimes becomes unresponsive when using the combination of a click-drag in a tree view (for example, when toggling the visibility of two successive items in the Shader Tree), followed immediately by a two-finger scroll gesture on some devices, including laptop trackpads and the Magic Mouse.
Note: As a workaround, change to a 3-button mouse (recommended to fully access all of Modo's features).
• ID 303287 (35856) - Linux only: Plugging in a Wacom tablet while Modo is running can cause undesired movement. This cannot be fixed, due to a limitation of the hardware driver.
Note: To avoid this, plug in the tablet before application startup or restart.
• ID 316276 (56973) - If a Trim Fusion role is assigned to an object and then it is dragged and dropped onto a Primary, the drop menu does not contain the Trim boolean options.
Note: As a workaround, use either the Fusion Buttons (Tool palette - Set Mesh Role & Apply section) or Pie Menu (Apply SubtractionApply Intersection or ) when initially adding Trims to each Fusion Item (Trims can contribute to multiple Fusion Items). If initially applied with either of those methods, all subsequent Drag & Drop options will be supported.
• ID 226970 (32728) - Zooming out with a Space Navigator alters the Work Plane position.
• ID 408278 (60027) - Linear Falloff snaps to object size.
Note: As a workaround, use the right mouse button for an interactive initial linear handle.
• ID 226363 (48325) - Scenes with image sequences rendered with Full Frames use the wrong image sequence number on slave machines.
Note: As a workaround, use File > Consolidate Scene, then render the scene using a shared network folder (Preferences option under Rendering > Network Rendering).
• ID 226337 (36986) - Slaves render hidden meshes. Since mesh hide state is not stored in the scene, when that scene is transferred to the slaves, the state is lost. The master respects the hidden state, however.
Note: As a workaround, if the intent is to avoid rendering, toggle the visibility for the item or render or open System > Preferences > Rendering and disable Use Network Render Nodes.
• ID 220955 (30318) - Network Rendering doesn’t support Realflow particles.
• ID 226336 (25636) - Frame passes are not supported.
• Several Bugs - While it apparently worked in Modo 902, in some cases, Network Rendering was not implemented to support baking. Changes to Modo in the 10-series apparently broke what was working for some artists, so the functionality has been disabled.
Note: As a workaround, Modo 10 implemented the ability to Network Bake using Bake Items and an external render controller. For more information, please see the SDK Wiki.
• ID 221393 (50642) - Nodal shading does not support UDIMs.
• ID 385250 - Nodal Shading is slower in 13.0 with some modifiers.
• ID 288461 (41682) - Textures are not always updating in Preview/Render when painting on an image map.
Note: You can save and reload the image to force the update.
• ID 303192 (34925) - Re-opening scenes saved with large particle caches can cause problems.
Note: To avoid such issues, delete the cache before closing Modo, or export the particles to .csv cache files or Realflow .bin files. You can do this by attaching one of those nodes to the Particle Simulation item in the Schematic viewport, and clicking Cache Simulation.
• If a high poly mesh is not visible, the Preview baking output will be incorrect.
Note: As a workaround, reset Preview to fix the baking.
• ID 305303 (56318) - Procedural duplication of Mesh Ops in a Deform folder creates errant Mesh Ops list.
• ID 305302 (56317) - Duplication of Procedurals does not work with the Select By Previous Operation tool.
Note: As a workaround, manually edit the duplicate's Select By Previous Operation Mesh Ops.
• ID 266469 (54738) - A duplication of any item that is a Merge Meshes Source (For example, a Mesh Item, Procedural Item, or Fusion Item), any duplicates (duplicate or instance) are added to the Merge Meshes Ops List as a source.
Note: As a workaround, remove the unwanted additional Merge Mesh Sources (regardless of the type of source) in the Mesh Ops List using the X icon in that list next to each Merge Meshes source.
• ID 221355 (52149) - Curve Extrude mesh operation: The Path Segment Generator's Align to Normal option doesn't work when using a Bezier with zero-length tangents.
Note: As a workaround, rotate the polygons to point toward the +Z before extruding or make sure there are no zero-length tangents.
• ID 289810 (46512) - When rigged, Rock items and other procedurals do not display correctly in GL. This is a limitation of the feature and will not be fixed.
Note: You can use Preview or RayGL to visualize the variations from rigging.
• ID 388978 - Paving does not work when a Guide curve runs through a paving hole
• ID 294394 (44492) - If a scene that already contains references is referenced, the shading of the original references may not persist.
Note: As a workaround, limit scenes with shading to one level of reference.
• ID 220957 (41119) - Reloading a reference after replacing it with the same file can cause Modo to crash.
• ID 309252 (56620) - Modo crashes when closing a scene containing a referenced scene after attempting to revert a reference override.
Note: As a workaround, first close and reopen the scene before attempting to revert the reference.
• ID 287584 (27244) - Duplicating joints in a bound mesh retains influences from the original joint chain.
• ID 404238 - Bezier Curves don’t work correctly with the Curve Falloff.
• ID 242545 (53458) - Right-clicking or running a script in the Script Editor can lock up input to Modo.
Note: As a workaround, click in the top window of the Script Editor, use the main menus, or change to another application, then switch back to Modo.
• ID 299187 (37858) - In the Shader Tree, choosing a group from Add Layer > Image Map > (use clip browser) fails.
Note: To work around this issue, in the Clip Browser, choose a single image instead of the group, and then change to the image group using the Texture Layer's Properties tab.
• ID 288141 (30947) - Layer masking displacement does not work unless you drag and drop the masking layer onto the displacement layer.
• ID 372282 (57874) - Custom Materials that define their own smoothing properties (such as the Skin material), no longer smooth the mesh correctly.
Unreal and Unity Materials
• ID 294747 (50701) - Unreal material Ambient Occlusion does not bake correctly in Modo.
• ID 295862 (50700) - There is no way to visualize the Unreal SubSurface Color effect in Modo.
• ID 221477 (50451) - On some graphics cards, Unity material may cause flickering in the Advanced viewport when used with bump maps and shadows.
• ID 281374 (55759) - Transforming objects can cause the Items Properties panel to flicker.
• ID 277244 (55571) - Resizing the dopesheet in Zen crashes Modo 11.1, but not in Modo 11.0.
• ID 273139 (55185) - Text in the viewport icon buttons is not visible in the Advanced viewport on some Mac OS/AMD configurations.
Note: As a workaround, upgrade Mac OS to 10.13.
• ID 226492 (44496) - macOS only: Disabling Affect System Color Dialog in Preferences > Rendering > Color Management, and using the system color picker caused colors to darken with each use of the color picker.
Note: This is due to an OS X issue, which requires the color profile in both the monitor settings and color picker to be set to sRGB IEC61966-2.1.
• ID 224169 (44896) - Dragging and dropping an image from disk into the Clips list doesn’t work.
Note: If the Clips list is empty, drop the image onto the bar at the top, otherwise drop it above or below other images in the list.
• ID 288714 (43162) (Windows only) -Setting a custom text size affects Modo's text drawing.
Note: As a workaround, go to the compatibility settings by right-clicking the Modo shortcut or executable, and turn off font-scaling for the application.
• ID 333249 (57715) - Selecting items in the viewport does not always update the Properties form.
Note: As a workaround, click the alt key.
• ID 388937 - macOS only: UI form field highlights can appear grey.
• ID 395884 - Mac only - Double-clicking bottom right corner or edge of popover doesn't resize back the popover correctly
• ID 440824 (60620) - Modo crashes when I click "Apply Overall" in the Texel Density Palette…
Note: As a workaround, deselect any Mesh item that does not have the specified (or currently selected) UV map.
• ID 310930 (56706) - Unity and Unreal materials are not displayed correctly when first loaded into the Advanced viewport.
Note: As a workaround, enable and then disable the visibility of the Shader Tree textures.
• RGBA textures only draw correctly in the Advanced viewport. In the Default viewport, any unsupported texture effect on an image map is drawn as diffuse color when the layer is selected in the Shader Tree.
• ID 281365 (55816) - Wireframes are washed out on transparent surfaces in the Advanced viewport.
Note: As a workaround, avoid transparency when modeling or doing work where wireframes are needed. Alternatively, use the Default viewport.
• Windows only: Using Raptr can cause GL driver crashes in Modo.
• ID 338374 (58003) - Game Navigation mode (camera rotation) does not work in a floating 3D view (palette or separate window).
Note: As a workaround,use Game Navigation mode only in docked 3D views (views that are part of a Layout).
• ID 338599 (57955) - Clicking on the VR layout tab may crash when using a system with a Radeon WX-series graphics card. This is due to a driver bug and should be fixed by a AMD in a future driver release.
• ID 289738 (49473) - Projections are incorrect if the projecting camera is set to Vertical film fit mode and the width is less than the height.
• ID 289020 (43771) - Camera projections from non-render cameras show distortion in GL and baking.
Note: To avoid this, make sure that the projection camera has a film width-to-height ratio that matches the main render camera.
• ID 408416 - Gradient (texture layer) renders incorrectly in the Advanced Viewport.
Note: As a workaround, use Preview.
• ID 420733 - Ghost Mode Transparency set to 0% isn't fully transparent.
• ID 218386 - VR is now supported on Linux, but has only been tested and verified working using SteamVR on Ubuntu 18.04.